Sunday, January 25
Genetically Practical
Over the weekend, Dustin and I visited my parents in their home. While we were there my father and mother were having a friendly argument in which my father clearly lost. In an attempt to redeem himself, my father made peace by offering to purchase my mother anything she wanted. He told her that he should buy her more gifts on a regular basis to show her how much she means to him. She really had him groveling here. Well, my mother took the bait and then proceeded to tell him that there was something he could buy her to confirm to her of his affections for her. This item was something that she really wanted, it would speak volumes of his love to her, this item would make her happy. She went on and on about how if my father would do this for her, she would be a sweet and grateful. At last, she spoke. "What I would really like you to purchase is two or three truckloads of gravel for the driveway." Gravel! I was shocked . Gravel! Not a fast car, fantastic vacation, cool electronic gadget, dinner at a fancy restaurant, tickets to a show, No, Gravel! What was my mother thinking, she had my father in a corner and she asks for gravel. I was laughing to hard to even tease her. The problem with this is basically I am doomed. No wonder I can never make a Christmas list. Whenever Dustin asks my what I want for my birthday, then best I can muster is a new blender. I will admit that I have a list of silly things that I would love to have, but actually using real money to purchase these items makes me a bit queasy, so I default to more usable items. I simply cannot be impractical with myself. So, as I watch my mother, knowing that one day I might be like her, I am doomed to lust after gravel. How ridiculously practical. Gravel, the gift that keeps on giving.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
I didn't know you had this blog. Cool. I still wouldn't know about this blog, probably, if I hadn't randomly decided to finally check out who my 1 follower of my blog was. (I know other people read my blog, but they don't list themselves as a follower on blogger.) ... I like that your blog has a theme. Mine is just randomness. ... Umm, you'll ONE DAY be like your mother? Like you're not there yet? -laugh- Right.
Post a Comment