Sunday, December 6

Six at the Birth


So we received this nativity set several years ago for Christmas, and have used it every year since. There have been no casulties (as is often the case with ceramic anything and our children) and the set is as complete as the day we got it. Which is the odd part...

If you look closely at the figurines, not counting The Savior and the livestock, there are six onlookers: Three wise men, Two Shepherds, and Mary. Where is Joseph? Really, who manufactures a nativity set without Joseph?

Theories abound as to the reason for his absence, but this is the one that I'm partial to: now that The Baby had arrived, Mary sent him to Wendy's for a Jr. Bacon Cheeseburger because the ice chips just weren't cutting it.

We should get a Joseph figure to include; He must have been a pretty special guy if God was willing to let him raise The Savior of The World. Come on, who else has ever raised a perfect child?

3 comments:

Tamra said...

I, of course, am raising 3 perfect children.

And I'm surprised how many Nativity sets have figures that are Joseph/shepherd mixes. In our ceramic set, we just choose one of the shepherds to be Joseph. Rob's Mom said, "This one is supposed to be Joseph," but shouldn't it be OBVIOUS?

rebecca said...

Everytime I pull this set out it frustrates me how Joseph was sooo not thought about. I could make one of the shepards Joseph, but then I ask myself... why is Joseph clinging to a shepards hook? Weirdo.

Tamra said...

Come on. We ALL KNOW that Joseph was a shepherd by profession. That's how the scripture goes, right? "Isn't this Jesus, the son of a shepherd?"