We get dirty, so do our clothes. Then we clean and clean and clean and clean. Which is costly. So we make...
Laundry Detergent

Step One:

The smaller the pieces, the faster the soap dissolves. Simple surface area equation. Use the whole bar.
Step Two:

Step Three:
Pour dissolved soap mixture into a 5 gallon bucket. (we got ours at our local bakery) It's best to have the bucket in your sink or tub due to the addition of lots more hot water later on.
Step Four:

Step Five: Stir and then add more hot water until the bucket is full.

Step Six: Observe.

Step Seven: Transfer to smaller containers (I used old laundry containers), about 1/2 mixture and 1/2 more water. I used hot water to help un-gel the soap.
All of you skeptics, this stuff works great. I am still working out the amount I put into each load, but so far my stinky, gross dish towels have come out clean. L's white goddess shirt that had red M&M dye came out clean and E's muddy knee pants were, well, clean. The soap smells like soap but leaves no scent on the clothes, so they smell like nothing, which is what clean should smell like. (not pine)
The cost for about this comes out to about 2.50 $ for every 180 loads of laundry (estimate). Not bad. The borax was easy to purchase but the other two items I had to special order from my local hardware store. I don't know if they are common else where, you would have to search for them. Overall this took about 10 minutes of time to make and stir, and L loved every bit of it. The down side, you get a whole lot of detergent at once and need someplace to store it. So, Good Luck!
3 comments:
I am looking for a couple of people to try this out and see how they like it. Any Takers?
I tried it. LOVE IT. I was able to find both the washing soda and borax at our Meijer. the FELS NAPTHA, I got at an ACE Hardware in the next town over. Overall cost for 1 years supply of laundry soap- $15.00!
Thanks, Becky
We'll be trying it. Hopefully the kids clothes will be cleaner.
Post a Comment