Friday, June 18

Fondue Friday

During our exile from technology we ate fondue. It's what we know. It's a strange obsession, I know. We all have them... so stop staring. Anyhow, well unpacking all our friends, I mean books, I pulled out this strange cook book that I swear I didn't own. I blame my mother, she's cool like that. And yes, I checked for any fondue recipes. There was just one beautiful fondue jewel in there. We made it, we ate it and now I am going to recommend it to you. The mustard makes aaaaaaaallllllll the difference. (Not as good as tomato, I mean, what is, but a good one to have in your fondue arsenal.)

Cheesy Fondue

1 8oz pkg of Muenster Cheese (if you are not familiar, lucky you, great cheese, good on tunafish)
2 T. flour
1 cup Beer *
1/2 teaspoon Mustard (thanks to MM, we now used super snobby mustard)

Shred Cheese and toss with flour. Heat beer in fondue pot until it bubbles (do not boil). Add small amounts of cheese mixture, stirring constantly; let cheese melt before adding more. Continue stirring until mixture bubbles lightly. Stir in mustard. Serve hot with bread, pretzels, sausage, carrots and other good stuff.
This took about 5 minutes to make, the muenster melts ridiculously fast.
*You cannot omit the liquid in this recipe, we used homemade apple juice (less sweet than store bought) however you could also use vegetable broth.

3 comments:

Alisha Erin said...

I can't wait until we have our house so I can make fondue again. Maybe I will just bring our fondue pot to my uncle's house. Ps, I am probably coming to Ohio to pack at the end of the week...maybe I can see you!

Michelle said...

You're never going back to regular mustard now, are you? Neither are we...and we're going to have a year's supply of it too. We just stocked up.

Liz Hall said...

Who would have thought that beer and mustard go well together? (that was supposed to be sarcastic). We miss you all! Enough with the fondue recipes, let's see some pics of the house already!