
This recipe has only failed once. At a work picnic. Apparently they REALLY liked baked beans. I was okay with it, Dustin and I ate them later for dinner.
Whenever I make these I feel like I am honoring my mother and my mother in law. My mother in law taught my mother how to make these when I was in high school, long before Dustin and I were anything other than friends. Then my mother taught me how to make these after I was married because Dustin loves these and my mother loves to please Dustin. (it is often said that if Dustin and I were to ever divorce, my mother would shelter Dustin and not I, no joke!!!)
After several requests... here's the tutorial. I hope it helps and I expect to see several plates of these at church functions and baby showers.
You need one pkg. Cream Cheese, Wonton Wrappers (found in the organic refrigerator section), Green Onions (about three to four stalks) and one pkg. Crab Meat (we use imitation because of allergies).
Mix cream cheese (room temperature), diced onions and flaked crab meat in a bowl. Sometimes the crab meat is a bit juicy, dry with a paper towel first.
It should look a bit like this. You can increase or decrease the amount of each items depending on your own preference or for who you are making these for.

Gather one cookie sheet, the wontons, the cream cheese mixture and a small bowl of water.

Pull out one wonton and slick down two sides with water. (The wrappers can be frozen and then used, but the fresh wrappers peel apart better)

Put a small amount of mixture into middle of wonton. About 1-1 1/2 teaspoon.
Fold over and press slicked and non slicked sides together.
Repeat.
( I usually only make half of the wonton package for my family, whole for potlucks.)
Warm oil in pan. Flick warm oil with water, if the water sizzles it should be ready. (boiling IS too hot, remove and turn heat down. Please be careful, oil burns are really angry burns!)
I usually add enough oil so that the wontons don't touch the bottom of the pan. About 2 inches deep. Before adding the wontons to pan, I pinch the sides again to reseal the seams. Remove from oil when edges begin to brown and bubble.
Drain cooked wontons on a paper towel covered plate.
Serve with Sweet and Sour sauce.
2 comments:
Thanks for posting this Rebecca, can't wait to make them!
So how did you know that I bought crab meat and wonton wrappers today at the store?! We must be on the same wavelength because I plan on making wontons tonight since it's been about 6 months since we've had them. I honor your mother-in-law too, every time I eat their delicious goodness.
Post a Comment