Wednesday, October 20

fabric cards- just two quick tips!

So fabric cards are nothing new, in fact, you might think they are boring and ho-hum. Mine are no exception and are generally uncomplicated and square. I will say that I find them a really great way to diminish your random fabric bits stash and I think this is a less expensive alternative to the traditional paper 0n paper card. (unless you have a year's supply of paper stuff... like some people we know, cough, ahem...). My SIL sent my daughter an adorable card for her birthday and I would have taken a picture of it for the blog, but Llou yelled at me when I tried to pry it off the inside of her closet door.
So why post anything at all. I have just two tips about these cards. One to add class and one to reduce waste.

Tip #1- Line the inside of the card. Many of the fancy cards purchased at fancy places are lined, once I realized that I have been lining mine eversince (this is really great when using dark cardstock) I use regular computer paper, trim it to 5X 7.75 inches, fold in half and glue one side at a time into the card. It hides the stitches and creates a nice uniform space for writing your message.


Tip# 2- If you take the time to make a card, help it last longer by writing your salutation on a post-it note and then sending it off. This way the card recipient gets a warm note from you and a cute card to send off to one of their friends. It reduces the amount of waste and helps brighten the day of one more person. You might even include an extra envelope, just in case. Who wouldn't want to receive a nice letter in the mail and a small gift as well!

3 comments:

Emily said...

so funny that you posted this today... I just finished writing my thankyou notes on quilted note cards- unlined though, I'm kind of a slacker.

rebecca said...

Emily- You just had a baby... unlined cards will be forgiven and you already are fancier than me by calling your handmade amazingness "quilted note cards". I am offically calling my cards that. Unless you won't let me...

Emily said...

Well... since I failed to copyright the term- go for it.