---update---after reading this I realized that blogging while high on cough medicine basically makes for random sentences and unfinished ideas. This post would appear to be very strange unless you had this information.
After several friends had asked about the pattern I use for making the market bags and after one conversation where I explained in frustration on how to make the strap modifications, I decided that it would just be easier to post a small tutorial about the whole thing. Hence, this post. And yes, this household is still on quarantine...yikes.
Last Christmas I made several Market Bags for gifts. (Uhmm, family members...some of you will have to wait your turn, but I promise they are all in the works. So, Merry Christmas, please act surprised.) I first came across the idea in the book "Button it Up" which directed me to this tutorial by Kristen Roach. Brilliant. After mastering this pattern, I altered it to my own preferences and began researching various techniques. What I discovered was that Kristen Roach's bag size was somewhat a standard in tote bags, but her genius came with the button and roll-up. I also decided that making the straps as instructed was rather tedious and time-consuming. So I changed it. Below you will find the strap modification instructions. Trust me, much easier.

Instead of making a two fabric strap, this modification only uses the exterior fabric.

In her instructions, the straps are 18inches long





Repeat and Voila! All done. I recommend using your steam setting or have a water spray bottle close, it helps make clean fold. Also, make the straps first, it's nice having it all done before the bag is assembled. It you have questions, facebook or email me. Rebecca
No comments:
Post a Comment