Tuesday, February 7

What to wear to swim class.

          After trying several sessions of summer swimming, I determined that I didn't like it.  Me, the Mom, didn't like it.  So I switched to winter classes.  Boy do I like it so much better.  It gets the family out of house of cold, gray days, let's my kids have some much needed wiggle time and I remember to shower them at least once a week (okay, that might be true...).

          Learning to swim is a non-negotiable in our house. That means that my children will learn whether they feel like it or not.  (This list of non-negotiables is not very long, but contains the talents and character building experiences that we feel our children need most.  There are a couple that are child specific, but most of them are family specific.)  We have been going to swim lessons for six years.  Six long years.  My oldest is very timid when water is involved and it has created some frustration for him, however, he knows that certain privileges will be unattainable unless he lets go of some of his fears and learns to swim.  It has been a long journey for him (and me), but this might just be our breakthrough year.  Lou and Mr. E are complete water babies, which is entirely fantastic and a relief.   I know this might sound slightly tough or perhaps harsh, but  I want my children to have lots of tools in their life belts and being able to swim is critical.  Bug's fear of water is downright frustrating and we have had many grumpy pep-talks in a effort to coax him into at least trying.  Some have worked, lots have not.  There are days where I just want to toss him off the side of the pool and let him problem solve his way to the edge, but knowing my son, this would be a very, very, bad choice.  Bug has a tendency to give-up fairly quickly and then grow immovably stubborn (you can guess where that trait comes from...).  It's this knowledge that propels me to try harder.  I want Bug to succeed, to have this hurdle nestled somewhere in his cranium for future reference.  This will become a good talking point when he develops new fears and I need to provide proof of him stretching himself and winning.  He needs to KNOW that he can do hard things.  Swim lessons are only the beginning for him.  So we keep going and going and going and going....


Swim picture courtesy of la nina.  Thank you good weather!


***Just a quick swim funny- The very first day of swimming class I instructed Bug to go upstairs and change into his swim trunks and then put his clothes back on.  He did just what he was told, he even included his underwear... which was pretty much hilarious watching him trying to slide his underwear back off (it was snug-tight over his trunks) when we arrived at the pool.




2 comments:

Charity Brown said...

Ryan has a difficult time with swimming lessons, too. He and Andrew MUST be cousins for sure...

Michelle said...

Swim lessons are non negotiables for us too. Though so far all my girls like water. Must be the norwegian blood.