Thursday, February 20

Tapping

It's the sunny and snowy days that make winter truly magical.  Nature is revealed and found at it's best when the sun is shining (though I am partial to a good rainstorm). Snow doesn't seem like the enemy when you can turn your face to the sun and have your wind chilled cheeks warmed. We spent some time earlier this week pondering the size of our tracks, making snow slides and trekking winding paths.   If you take the time to look around you can see life scurrying at the base of the trees, bunny feet, pine needles and bird tracks.   We might be anticipating spring by the seeds sprouting on our windowsills and summer dresses coming off the machine, but we are going to enjoy every last drop of this snow.  








We walked around our house examining the trees, searching out the maples for the upcoming tapping.  Our landlord gave a us the green-light, though I am sure they thought us strange.  We discovered seven trees.  SEVEN.  These trees will give us ten taps.  Triple what we are used too and we couldn't be more giggly like school girls.  For me, sugaring and tapping is one of my favorite things.  Just when you think that winter has won, it's time to gather and make maple syrup.  It's a slow process, calm and oh so rewarding.  I love slipping on my boots and making the walk to each tap.  Peeking into the buckets and checking the taps for leaks.  I guess the whole process makes me feel quiet, hushed and calm.  It's not complicated, but a steady task.  I can think and breathe. The perfect remedy of a chaotic life of parenting, creating and life-living.


No comments: