Tuesday, April 29

During the Day: painting with water


This is a pretty basic activity and once you read it, you will face palm yourself.  


On really beautiful sunny days, I send my kids outside with a cup of water and random paint brushes.  Their task is to paint pictures on the cement sidewalks.  It's simple and brilliant. (I cannot take credit for the brilliant, that part goes to my friend Kim.  I saw her daughters doing this years ago and I logged it away.)  Easy prep and easy clean-up.  My boys will do this for about 45 minutes.  Occasionally I will check on them and ask about their pictures.  Sometimes I will have them "paint" our deck or bikes.  They love it.


It works best in the sunshine, so if my boys are out there for a prolonged time, I put hats on them.  I will also fill a small bucket of water so they can refill their cups whenever they need to and not come into the house every five minutes. 


On really hot days, the pictures evaporate quickly and I have had some great water cycle talks with the boys.


Mr. E (age five) will do this longer than Jeep, but he is older and loves to create stuff.  


No comments: