Wednesday, May 13

Emergency Kits with Kids

Like all my trips to Target, this trip included three detours to the bathroom, twenty minutes convincing Andrew that he doesn't need a toy named Bakugam (spelling?), taking away Leah's walking privileges a minimum of five times and me wondering why I keep doing this to myself.  My intentions were good, no great, I was gathering last minute supplies to put into the kid's 72 hour emergency kits.  Andrew and Leah got to pick out mini toothpastes, fruit snacks, coloring books, little tissues package and other random items.  For Family Home Evening that night I showed the kids the Sesame Street Ready to Learn show and then we assembled their backpacks.  It was fabulous.  They not only know what every item in their pack is for, they also know not to play or touch the items.  They got a kick out of putting all the little things in ziploc bags and then learning how to pack them in so that the bag isn't lopsided.  Over all this was such a rewarding experience (well, except Target) and I was able to put a check next to one more bullet on my family's emergency plan. 

No comments: