Now those who do this kind of thing professionally tend to have some specialized equipment for tapping the trees, collecting the sap, and boiling (or evaporating) it down. We were strictly NCH ghetto in these departments, so we went with what seemed to be the simplest solution: boil it down a little at a time on the stove in the kitchen. I started it on a Thursday night, figuring why not. I added syrup periodically every so often to keep the level up and at bed-time just turned the fire off. R ran it all the next day while I was at work, getting through all but about two gallons of sap. I took over when R had to go to a fireside or something, and it was all good until I put the kids to bed. Took a little while to get them down, then sat in the bedroom and worked on a term-paper. All was well until I smelled a burning smell. I said a bad word, and jumped up to run downstairs to see what I could salvage.
The haste lasted until about the time I opened the bedroom door and couldn't see two feet for all of the smoke that was there (apparently past time to replace the batteries in the smoke detectors). We're talking thick gray sticky smoke, the kind that makes you realize that you're going to have to carry all three kids down the stairs out the door and then watch the equity in the house incinerate. I was pretty sure that I had burned my house down. Ran back into the bedroom and grabbed the fire extinguisher out of the closet. Figured it was a good plan to see what I was up against before I grabbed the kids and made a break for it.
Turns out that I didn't actually set the house on fire for real, but the smoke really was thick. In hindsight I should have taken a picture, because none of you will believe how much smoke was in the house. Once I found a lack of flames, I went back upstairs and put a towel under the kid's door to keep the smoke out, then opened all of the rest of the doors and windows in the house, and turned on the bathroom fan for good measure. The smoke still wasn't all the way dissipated when R came home an hour and a half later.
So it turns out that when you boil down Maple sap, you need to watch it closely at the end. The experts (Fankhauser among them - that's right, the cheese man does syrup too) say that when the sap begins to look oily, it's done. If you take it too far and drive off all of the water, you get maple sugar instead of syrup. I have proven conclusively the if you continue removing the water after it's all gone, you go from maple sugar to incendiary device that you could use to quell you average street demonstration in Pakistan.
So how do you explain the third of a cup of syrup in the above picture? The other two gallons of sap, closely watched. It is delicious. Beyond delicious. It tastes sweet and buttery and clean. Much better than the store bought, well, not really Maple Syrup.


And yes, thanks to Ma Scotchbrite and some elbow grease, we even salvaged the pan.
5 comments:
I was about to ask about the pan. Waste not, want not.
What a great introduction to your blog! A friend of mine left a pot of oatmeal on while they were at church. For some reason she came home before Relief Society, only to find the house full of smoke. In her case the house was salvaged but not the pan or the stovetop; the electric burner had melted down through the counter top into the cupboard below.
I guess I should have tried to tap our trees before we cut them down. I'll take the lack of sewage over homemade syrup any day though.
s
Those pictures were worth the wait! I'm gonna make Rob read this entry. It's totally, totally awesome!
Lack of sewage always beats a 1/2 cup of amazing maple syrup (it would have been at least 1 cup if, well, you know!) and I went to Costco and purchased a lifetime supply of 9 volt batteries so now we can continue to claim the title of the prepared family (well, occasionally prepared).
And Sam, welcome to the 21st century with faster internet access!!!!! Yah!
Post a Comment