Tuesday, March 16

I was reading a color design book titled "hue" and the author mentioned the use of these "vintage 80's chairs", so when I presented my childhood barbie doll collection to L, I proudly exclaimed it's vintage virtues. She squealed, dumped it all out onto the floor and didn't care one hoot about the "vintage".
Just mostly the shoes.
She is my daughter after all.
I have to admit it was fun going through all the clothes and accessories with her. I have the classics; crocheted dresses, ball gowns, wedding dresses no one would wear, 12 girls, 1 boy, immodest bathing suits and a never worn Amish dress. (the Amish dress cracks me up, what kind of statement would that be, "Barbie Goes Amish") L was immediately good at getting the clothes on and off. She knew which shoes matched what outfit and only wanted the "fancy" dresses. Note that there are no "topia" dolls, thank heavens, those particular barbie dolls frighten me. With their strange attachments and moving parts. We attended a birthday party once before L was born and our friend's daughter received one of these and I vowed then never to have one in my home. (Melissa, you know it's true).
We were going to give these to L for her fourth or fifth birthday, but after being introduced to them at a friend's house (ahem Tamra), we gave in. For L, this has been good, for me, even better. L has always been a difficult child to disciple due to her "whatever" attitude. It really wouldn't phase her when we took her toys away or when she would lose privileges. Not true with the Barbies, I now have the best leverage and she responses beautifully.

*** This does not give any Grandmother, Aunt, Cousin, Uncle, Friend the right to pour down upon my daughter copious amounts of barbie doll paraphernalia. I do not want to see trademarked items on shirts, socks, Easter items or anything else Mattel has it's sticky fingers attached to. Yes, L will probably want to expand her collection and when she requests something I will gladly pass that information on. Until then, resist, resist, resist. It would be greatly appreciated. And yes, all my sweet family members, this means you, no matter how good the deal was.

3 comments:

Tamra said...

I'm not taking the fall for this one! My daughter is 8, you know. And got all her Barbie stuff for free. And I hated Barbies growing up.

I guess I should have hid the Barbie collection every time Leah came over, huh? Sorry about not thinking that one through.

rebecca said...

It was in the fine print of our friend contract. It's not my fault you once again failed to read any of the paper work that I make you sign.

Kim said...

Oh that is too priceless! I remember when my mom let me play with her Barbies...I thought it was great! Unfortunately I don't think Luke will appreciate my Barbie collection that remains in a closet at my parents house waiting to be dusted off...oh well...maybe next time! HAHA