Traditional Swiss Fondue (note how there is no swiss cheese here!)
1 garlic clove
2/3 cup dry white wine (I have used white grape juice, worked great)
squeeze of lemon juice
2 cups grated Gruyere Cheese
2 cups grated Emmentaler Cheese
1 Tbsp cornstarch
2 Tbsp kirsch (i completely forget this every time, still good)
pinch of salt
1/4 tsp paprika
1/4 tsp grated nutmeg
Cut garlic clove, rub around on the inside of the fondue pot. Pour in wine and lemon juice. Heat through and gradually add cheeses, stirring until melted. When the cheese has melted and begins to bubble, blend cornstarch with kirsch and stir into the fondue pot. (Because I generally skip the kirsch, I toss cornstarch with the cheese before added to liquid) Cook, stirring for about 2 to 3 minutes, then add remaining ingredients to taste. Serve.
Great with french bread, pita chips and pears
2 comments:
This reminds me of when we had a fondue night together. YUM! I couldn't tell from your post if you were making a joke or if you were serious about the Swiss cheese. If you were serious, I thought I'd let you know that what most Americans call Swiss cheese is really Emmental. (I had to learn my cheeses to be married to a Swiss missionary :) I'm excited to serve with the pita chips next time. That sounds delicious.
Kim- I was being sarcastic. For the sake of cheese though, when I first started making fondue I was completely overwhelmed by all the different cheeses. Luckily it's all goood.
Post a Comment