Saturday, July 10

Dirty: Part Two

After making laundry detergent a couple of months ago, I got a lot of responses concerning a powdered version. So I did a little digging and came across a recipe for powder laundry detergent. We used it for about five weeks and it was okay. It only gets the "okay" rating because I felt like it was not a very good deodorizer and I was pre-treating a lot more with this version. (Mostly just l's clothes, she is so dribbly). Nonetheless, it is quicker to make and stores better because it all fits into a nice little container. (If you want info on the liquid version, see here.)

The original Powder recipe can be found here. And those of you who think I am crazy for doing this, you can find very nice and normal people who make their own stuff too, Here and Here.
I tried Soulemama's recipe first but decided to tailor it a bit for my stinky, dirty self. So here is our recipe (we doubled it):

Powder Laundry Detergent
2 cups Borax
2 cups Washing Soda
2 cups Baking Soda
1 bar Dr. Bonner's (or any castile soap)*
1 bar Fels naptha

Grate the soaps and mix all together in big, sturdy container. Sometimes the contents settle, so shake or mix slightly before use. Use about 1/4 cup - 2 Tbs for each load. Adjust as you see fit.
This is working a bit better. Most of L's clothes get soaked in the detergent overnight and then washed, which has worked out pretty good. I tried the vinegar soak and that worked well too, I just found that I was constantly carrying the vinegar up and down the stairs, so I quit doing that. (We use vinager in our salad dressings)
I would love to know if you are trying this... if you loved/hated it... or if you have some better suggestions. Everyone wants to save money/save the planet/be good to their skin/be cool/ and get the job done. I hope you are brave and give it all a go!

*A word on Dr. Bonner's. This stuff is scrumptious, costly and completely fun to bath with. Caution, it might get you thinking about the bar of soap you use and whether or not it is good enough for your skin. I also like Kirk's Castile soap. Etsy has a lot of great soap on sale there too. Take a minute and read the label on your commercial grade soap. It might surprise you.

3 comments:

Alisha Erin said...

Fascinating, and kudos to you for embarking on an adventure I hadn't gotten around to yet! I will have to try this...the powered stuff is so appealing to me. Will you go back to the liquid now?

Rachel said...

I'm going to go back and look at your liquid version. Was it better at stain removal? I don't think I can use powdered soap in my front loader machine...? - I'll have to check.

rebecca said...

I do feel that the liquid was better at getting out normal, everyday stains which is a plus in my book. But the powder is just so dang storable and it smells good.