Sunday, August 29

Freezing alittle bit of Summer for the Future


We have been seeing a lot of this at our house lately. Processed canned corn is gross. Period. Processed frozen corn is slightly better. Maybe. Corn you shuck and slice yourself. Delicious. Finding a local corn source. Heavenly with a side of melted butter.

Lessons learned this year.
1. Our six year old rocks at corn shucking... he really participated well in this activity. He asked questions about canning and why this was important and pretty much made his momma proud.

2. Slicing raw corn is messy. I think it's because the individual kernels bounce. Everywhere. Then the kernels stick to where they land. Seriously messy.

3. Getting left over freezer bags from A's kindergarten teacher rocks.

4. Freezing raw corn takes less time at the beginning, but blanched corn takes less time to prepare to eat and for us, they tasted the same. (Blanching instructions via the Blue Ball Book, you know, the canning bible.)

5. Peering into my freezer and seeing all that corn is magnificent. Like frozen peace.

1 comment:

Christie & Ethan said...

When I cut the kernels off the cob I have found I di it inside a 9x 13 pan, a larger one works better. The sides of the pan help with the bouncing corn. I also have a large round rubbermaid (i use it for traveling potato salad.) the sides are about 4 inched high- it works well, too.