Monday, December 13

Legomen and a Giveaway!

The idea of up cycling crayons never appealed to me. I was pretty sure that handing my kids some crayons that were shaped like hearts was not going to bring out their inner Rembrandt. By offering said trinkets they would wake up every morning eager to color away, endlessly, quietly creating masterpieces that would fill my refrigerator. Honestly, they could just use the conventional crayons and save me some time.
I was in the Lego store a couple of weeks ago and I came across the Legoman Ice mold and I scoffed. What crazy mom is going to buy this and make a bazillian ice cubes for their kid's party. It would take days to make enough to even make it cool and then they would just melt... seriously lame. I moved on. Then several days later I was trolling Etsy and saw THESE pretty cool mustache crayons. I like a good facial hair drawing utensil (who doesn't) and then my crafting light bulb went on... Legoman crayons. Brilliant times two. What lego loving boy/man wouldn't want a set of these. These crayons are just that fun. Now... up cycling crayons isn't a new idea and I am still sure my kids won't be coloring away the day, but this might just get a "hey, that's cool mom, ".

Supplies-
old crayons (or new if you are out of old ones)
cup cake liners (only paper)
mold
microwave
There are other instructions/ideas Here and Here

1. Peel paper from crayons. This is the longest step ever. Sometimes the paper is just un-removable, so don't feel bad. This is a great activity with the kids. Mine helped alot.

2. Separate into like colors. Or mix and match for a marbled effect. Then melt in microwave. Mine took nine minutes. Yours will probably melt faster since we like super old technology. It was helpful to start out with the white wax and move on up through the colors, then if any little flakes of wax was left on the mold, it wasn't so obvious on the crayons.
3. Pour hot wax into mold. It takes a couple of tries to master the art of pouring here, but no worries and the crayons and mold clean up really well. All the flake bits I threw together and melted and made some marbled crayons. Just a little waste not, want not.
4. Put in freezer for about 15 minutes, remove from mold and repeat. Instant awesomeness!

So here's the fun part. I have a set left over and thought it would be fun to give away. So leave a comment and I will ship these bad boys out on Thursday. Giveaway ends Wednesday at Midnight. So leave a comment and share with your friends.

9 comments:

AWeddle said...

This is so cute!! Thanks for sharing!! This idea is the first up cycling of crayons I have EVER considered doing!! Thanks again!!

Alisha Erin said...

Well I am not in need of any crayons, but this is very, very, very cool.

Kim said...

You're a much cooler mom than I.

Megan said...

I've got some other molds if you want to make more over the holidays.

Kelly said...

I love these! You never fail to impress me. :)

Liz Hall said...

Wow, that is so creative of you,. We miss your craft nights.

Rachel said...

Matthew would love these. Did you get the mold at the Lego Store in Kenwood? What an amazing idea - I've come to expect nothing less from your creative mind!

Tamra said...

Maybe I could borrow the mold and make some of my own. They don't seem hard to make, and the boys LOVE them.

Charity Brown said...

I'm not gonna lie, Ryan might like them. Or Tyler... lol.

I actually saw this mold at the Lego store in Woodbridge, VA the other day and thought about getting it for you guys (aka you for Andrew), but I had no idea what you'd actually do with it. Enter blog post... :)