
While searching at our local public library for quilting books, I counted no less then twenty-two quilt pattern books devoted entirely to cat fabric. While the patriotic-themed quilt books outnumbered the cat books, I was still flabbergasted at this revelation. I would like to state here that I take no real issue with cats, while I can't live with them (I am allergic), I can see the value they add to others lives. I view them with as much ambiguousness as I would squids or duck-bill platypuses. I did venture and open one of these quilting book gems only to find more than I could have bargained for. These books were filled not only with quilts, but all kinds of decorating strategies one could attempt in order to increase the presence of cats in one's home. I have tried to imagine the woman who would buy this book, already addicted to cat fabric, stowing some secret stash away from her loved one's prying eyes, in hopes that one day her house will be bathed in this beloved fabric. Is this disturbing? I am not sure that this is any different than having a beanie baby addiction or buying everything exclusively from the pottery barn catalog. To each their own. We all have some small crutch, right? Over-abundance of handbags, a dire need for throw pillows, fancy soaps never to be used or impulsive behavior that requires one to repaint one's hallway every spring. Here's my concern. Is this where quilting spirals down, an unavoidable pitfall into cat fabric hell. Will I be addicted to cat fabric in a few years, indoctrinated at every turn to love cats posing next to colorful yarn balls? Will I drool over collections of fabric with cats playfully lounging in high heels? Will I giggle at every new bolt of designer cat fabric I encounter at the fabric shop. I mean, it's a scary quilting world out there... perhaps better left to the professionals. Is there a way to safeguard my workshop from unscrupulous purchases of fabric that I simply love to stare at (uhmm, well I really just mean cat fabric, because I NEVER by any fabric simply because it is pretty, NEVER!). Should I have a fabric accountability partner who gets full veto power over all my fabric purchases? Do I need to avoid fabric stores when I have no reason to enter them? Shoot, perhaps I am already there, Hi, my name is Rebecca and I am addicted. Addicted to pretty fabric... maybe some has cats on it... whats' it to you?
**There were no quilting books devoted to squids or duck billed platypusses. Just thought you should no.
2 comments:
oh gosh! I'm addicted to fabric too! my poor husband runs everytime we go near joanns or any other place that sells fabric...augh! I just can't get enough!
Your addiction is better than being addicted to cat fabric. You choose awesome fabrics and then make cool stuff with it. ... If you ever start buying tacky stuff, I'll let you know.
Post a Comment