Monday, April 25

Pregnancy Etiquette: A remedial course.

1. Always assume there is only one fetus. Never ask if there are more. Even when you know there are more, never use that fact as a reason to vocally justify a pregnant woman's size.

2. Never guess the due date. You will be wrong, very wrong.

3. Words like huge, fat, enormous, big, swollen and gigantic should never be used when describing a pregnant woman. Even if she herself uses them. It will always be bad.

4. Do not guess the sex of the baby. I don't care what mumbo jumbo you think you have, you are not a wizard. Ask first.

5. Telling a pregnant woman that she is "glowing" might have worked in the 7o's, but it's officially outdated. Just drop of ice cream instead.

6. Never assume a woman is pregnant until it has been confirmed by three excellent sources or she tells you herself. I suggest waiting for the last one.

7. Never congratulate a woman on being pregnant until rule #6 has been satisfied.

8. Always be openly astonished when a woman tells you how far she is in her pregnancy. "What, there is no way you are 7 months along, you don't even look pregnant!"

9. Asking about a pregnant woman's water retention is off limits, also, you don't need to know how often she pee's, does she get stretch marks or if her feet have gotten larger.

10. And lastly, do not talk in hushed tones about a pregnant woman when she is only eight feet from you, pregnant woman can HEAR everything.


Just saying,
Rebecca

12 comments:

Heidi said...

ARE you having more than one baby? I know that question breaches protocol, but since I haven't seen you my query is in no way related to your girth (or lack therof). So? =0)

Heidi said...

By the way, when I was 5 months pregnant people thought I was due any day, so I hear ya!!
http://russellandheidi.blogspot.com/2010/08/its-never-going-to-look-same-is-it.html

rebecca said...

Heidi, thankfully just one. I have never had so many strange comments in all of my pregnancies. Dustin and I just stare at our new ward family and wonder if their internal filters are all broken. It's hilarious and rather awkward. Sigh, luckily it will all be over in two 1/2 months.

Charity Brown said...

I like Heidi's first question as well because I haven't seen a picture either. Haha. Glad you clarified that one. :)

You should post a picture!

Tiffany said...

I love you.

Heidi said...

I was congratulated on being pregnant a little while ago......five months after having the baby! Not cool.

Rachel said...

Great advice. I totally agree with all of it. I would add to the size comments that you should never tell a pregnant woman that she "looks like she's about to EXPLODE!" I had a male stranger tell me that once. It made me really mad.

Sarah F said...

I would to "amen" to 6 and add never ask, "when's the next one coming?" any time during the pregnancy or during the first year.

Liz Hall said...

Wait , are you due like tomorrow? I didn't think you looked too gigantic! Jk! Had to. Good way of "hinting" to your new friends. Thanks fir the lesson, I have no etiquette ever . Oops. Miss ya!

Heather T. E. Hand said...

You forgot to mention anything about "tummy touching/poking"... didn't like that too much; very annoying. And I hated the question "are you STILL around" for the entire last trimester. That gets old real quick! Great list here.

Kelly said...

I have to add: NEVER say, "Don't you know how that happens?" in a coy voice. ACK!

rebecca said...

Oh boy howdy, have I loved reading all your comments! I love that we all have had these moments! Thanks for the love and support. I know I need it!
Rebecca