Dustin's sister Shannon performed in a high school production of Les Miserables over the weekend. Initially this was going to be a great date night opportunity, but as we considered it more, we felt that our two oldest children were mature enough to show their support by attending the musical with us. While our children have attended other various shows and concerts, this would be the first time that they would be attending a show with adult themed content (think 'Lovely Ladies'). I will admit to much thought concerning whether or not I should divulge the sticky undercurrents of this particular story, but in the end I left it up in the air, trusting on previous life lessons and discussions with my children about relationships, politics and moral challenges. It worked out marvelously. My children were in awe of the melodies, movement and, for the sake of alliteration, muskets. Oh the Muskets!
This part is an aside, but it's a good one: Because we knew a member of the cast, we brought flowers. The three youngest and I went to a local florist shop and had a bouquet made for my sister in law. I cannot say enough positive things about Roger's Florist. My children hand picked every flower. Mitchell, our florist, gushed about every choice, fawned about everything my kids said and made sure to flirt shamelessly with Lou. I was sold at this point, but then they gave each child a helium balloon as well. It was AMAZING. And the flowers were lovely too! End of aside.
I had the kids dress up a bit, I feel it makes them behave slightly better and helps to distinguish the outing as something apart from their everyday. Lou picked out this sparkly necklace to help her get into the fanciness of the evening, plus, she is wearing nude lip gloss. I caved, she's just so dang beautiful! Bug's accessories were his newly bartered Pokemon cards...there were several reminders over the course of the evening to 'put those back in your pocket'.
We got there in plenty of time to check out our seats, which were pretty good and hand-picked by Shannon. It was strategic on her part: later in the musical all the beggars merge onto the stage via the aisles and Shannon was able to poke Dustin in the ribs. He almost jumped out of his skin. Fortunately there were no girlish screams. The kids loved the smoke (my allegeries did not). We had enough time to take Lou the restroom and settle the kids into their seats.
Bug's attention started to wane midway through the first act. We were starting to worry about how to keep him engaged but were saved by gang of revolutionaries with their muskets entering from stage right. He perked right up and was solid till the very end - and was able to give a startlingly accurate account of the types and numbers of weapons on the stage. Lou was sold from the very beginning - she sat and beamed throughout the production. She kept leaning over to me and saying, "Mom, I really like this, they sing nice."
After the show, there was lots of hugs and "way to go"s. Dustin rated the musical as "in the top one of the high school musicals he's ever seen." It might have helped that it's pretty much his favorite musical, and he was able to sing along to a surprising number of the songs. Quietly. Very quietly.
Bug was so stoked by the guns, that he made sure to tell his Aunt. Two pistols.
Overall, a complete success. The kids were unbelievably well behaved - we received compliments from both the ladies in front of and behind us. The high school kids were fabulous and the whole thing might have pulled a few tears from my beloved husband (don't tell anyone). And maybe me too. I think this represents a beginning of good activities to come.








1 comment:
I love everything about this. Also, how is Lou getting sooo tall and gorgeous?
Post a Comment