Wednesday, May 2

Fat Quarter Napkin Tutorial



After receiving my sixth email about my napkins, I realized that it would just be easier to make a tutorial than continue answering lots of emails.  So I whipped one out (yes, Tiffany, whipped out, mwahmwahah).  

But first a word about fat quarters.  Fat quarters traditionally are pre-cut fabric measuring 18 by 22 inches long. You could make them yourselves or you can purchase them at any quilting supply store where they come in all kinds of quilting/cotton fabric.  Using fat quarters will result in a fairly large napkin, so if that is not to your liking, you can scale down the napkins to any size you wish.  So let's say you want your finished napkin to measure 12 by 14 inches, add two inches to both lengths in order to accommodate your seam allowance, which means you would need to cut two pieces of fabric to 14 by 16 inches for each napkin.  Okay?

I like using the vintage sheet fat quarters because old sheets are abundant at thrift stores making the napkins less expensive to make, also the sheets are usually a blended fabric making them fast dryers and generally require no pressing to make neat and pretty.  You can also purchase vintage sheet fat quarters on etsy.com.  Just type "vintage sheet fat quarters" in search and be amazed at the selection! 

Okay, now onto the How-To:

Vintage Fat Quarter Napkins!

Items needed for one napkin:


Make sure the fabric is free from folds and ripples by ironing on 
medium heat.  If you want to add a ribbon embellishment, do so before you pin 
the fat quarters together. 


I double pin the opening to give myself a reminder to stop 
sewing and leave this area open.  I have spent a ridiculous amount of time
 unstiching areas just like this one. 


Trimming your corners helps make a crisp corner and 
keeps the napkin from bunching in the corner.  


Take your time and press, making sure that the fabric isn't tucked into the seam.  
I use a fat knitting needle and run along the seam as I press the napkin flat.  
This ensures that I get a straight pressed side.


Sometimes I like to double topstich just for fun and fancy.  
This means that I add another level of stiching at 1/2 inch in, making 
a double stich border around the entire napkin.


Repeat for as many napkins as you need!


If you have any questions or I didn't explain a step well, please contact me or comment below. 
Thanks, Rebecca

6 comments:

Cassandra said...

What a great idea! So quick and easy :)
I love the tip about using a fat knitting needle to push the seams out! Thanks for that :)

Cass
casscansew.blogspot.com.au

rebecca said...

Thanks Cassandra!

Heather Grow said...

My mum, a frequent reader of my blog read your tutorial and she's now hinting about Mother's Day. Guess what I'll be making her?

rebecca said...

Heather, these would make such lovely Mother Day gifts. Your mom must have pretty good taste. Thanks so much!

~Damita's Pretty Wrap~ said...

What a easy great tutorial!! Thanks, hope you have a lovely weekend! xo Holly

Christa said...

This is such a great idea, and it just occurred to me that I could use my "slightly imperfect" fat quarters to make extra cloth napkins for our own household use. (For gifts, I'd use good ones.)

Thanks for the inspiration!