The house kitchen originally came with two outlet units near the cupboards. One was a double outlet box which turned into an outlet/on-off switch when we added the garbage disposal. It stood the test of time for eight years. Recently, we replaced the single switch to a double when we added a pendant lamp over the sink. However, due to my voracious need to read home repair manuals and decorating books, I have discovered that our "electric availability" is completely 1983. (Which is hilarious because our kitchen is way older than that!) Apparently every American kitchen NEEDS at least 10 outlets. What is plugged into to theses outlets escapes my ability to understand, but it is the "standard" for all modern kitchens. My sweet kitchen with it's four outlets is simply laughable, sad, shockingly pathetic... Clearly, should the need to sharpen pencils, toast a bagel, make a latte, whip potatoes, listen to music, griddle pancakes, steam rice and dip fondue arise, I should have the freedom to engage in such amazing multitasking. This is the Prepared Family blog after all and one wouldn't want to appear hypocritical. Okay, moving on. I decided that we needed to add some more outlets.
Hence the midnight sleeplessness and the need to write this post.
This is the almost finished product. What is that you say? It's not weird. We did that on purpose. Yes, the outlet is on it's side. Totally hip and completely cool...
It seems that when I brought home the three outlet electrical box and annoyed my husband until he finally took a chisel to the wall, that we discovered that there was a reason there was only room for two outlets. If you look at the picture closely, you can see the new mudded sides. To the left of the outlet is a stud.... and to the right... the drainage pipe from our shower. Dustin felt slightly deflated at this discovery. I just giggled. Classic old home and repair stuff. Giggling aside, I still felt the need to have more places to plug stuff in, so we problem-solved. And now you are jealous. I am starting a trend. Please feel free to pin to pinterest. It's all the rage. No, seriously it is, I know, I read decorating books.
No comments:
Post a Comment