Thursday, August 14

First Day


We went to kindergarten registration last week.  I ran into the principal, whom I have talked to several times concerning Bug.  After explaining  how nervous Mr. E was, she offered to give him a personal tour.  She walked him through the whole school and even opened his classroom for him.  I was impressed.  When we got home, he started to cry and told me that the school was so big.  What would happened if he got turned around.  What happened if he couldn't remember where he was suppose to go.

We went to Back-to-School night and met his teacher.  He played the scavenger hunt game.  Bug took him around the room and pointed out all the cool things. Lou showed him how to open his locker and where the bathroom was.  He loved it.  His teacher was great.  We came home and he was nervous about getting on and off the bus.  He loved his locker, but what if his bookbag wouldn't fit.  They have snacks everyday, but what if he doesn't like them.

On the first day of school (the school's pick-up/drop-off policies are nutso so I opted to let him ride the bus), he was excited and ready.  He got on and off the bus just fine.  After school Lou confided in me that he cried for part of the bus ride to school.  (heartstrings tightened)  I asked him about it and he broke down into little tears.  "I just missed you so much!"  Bug told me that he was sitting next to him and gave him hugs and encouragement.  I made Mr. E a little felt heart key chain that hangs on his bookbag.  It has a ton of little stitches on it, each one represents a kiss from me.  Bug made him hold the keychain to his face.  Lou made sure that he got to his classroom.  She walked him all the way down the yellow hallway.

The second day of school was better, but he got disoriented at recess and couldn't find his teacher.  "Mom, I just felt so scared and sad.  Then I missed you and my whole day was bad after that." Luckily it was the recess right before school dismissed, so his "whole day" was just about fifteen minutes.

So what I have learned: Bug and Lou have been amazing siblings.  It never crossed my mind that E's stress would bring out the very best in them.  Watching them love and care for him has been wonderful and delightful.  Their tenderness has been encouraging because E can do this, with a little help from his family.

1 comment:

Michelle said...

Oh, hooray! I'm so glad that Bug and Lou have helped E. It has brought out the best in Emily too. Today, Nathalie was nervous after school and she started crying. Emily found her, and while they were waiting in line to be dismissed, Emily grabbed hold of her hand and didn't let go until she handed Nan over to me.

E will do great.